Radio Reading is a research-based strategy. The process for Radio Reading is as follows:
- Students read the selected material silently for understanding, highlighting text, taking notes, or other organizational techniques.
- Students individually write brief summaries of text’s main ideas.
- Students read their summaries to their group members and discuss discrepancies in main ideas found, issues involved, vocabulary, etc. Students ask each other questions about each student’s summaries.
- Students can revise information on their summaries and then practice reading their information to become more comfortable reading aloud.
- Teacher monitors groups’ work & answers questions or provides guiding questions.
- A spokesperson from the group is chosen to present findings as through reporting on the radio.
Example Question: Describe the coordinate plane, related parts such as coordinates, points, and axis. Explain how the coordinate plane and its parts function and interrelate.